Tea time treat anyone? Today we’re sharing one of Mrs Horton’s favourites – a recipe iced buns!
9 oz strong white flour
1 tsp salt
1.5 fl oz water
1 sachet of quick yeast
3 fl oz icing sugar
3 tsp water
Whipped cream (optional)
- Put the flour and butter in a bowl and rub in gently
- Add the sugar, yeast, salt and beaten egg.
- Stir in the warm milk and just a little water, mix to form a soft dough. Add more water if needed
- Place dough on a floured board and knead well until smooth.
- Return to the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for an hour
- Divide dough into 6-8 small balls, roll into sausage shapes
- Cover and leave to rise for about 20 minutes
- Place close together on a hot skillet, cover with a pan lid and cook until brown on the base.
- Turn the buns over and brown on the other side
- Leave to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar with a little water to a thick paste, ice the top of each bun.
If enjoyed, buns can be split open and filled with a little whipped cream before icing.