Oh dear, it has been quite some time since we last shared a recipe with you! Let’s get that put right…
Whilst thumbing through Mrs Horton’s Cookery Book in the Servants’ Hall Shop we came across this recipe that sounds ideal for our #CheekyCharlies this summer – Sugar Mice!
1 egg white
1lb icing sugar
Currants and string
- Beat the egg white until frothy but not stiff
- Sieve the icing sugar, adding enough to produce a fairly stiff mixture
- Add a few drops of food colouring (flavourings can also be added at this stage if required)
- Knead the mixture into a firm past and divide into 12 – 16 pieces
- Roll into oval shapes making one end pointed to form a nose, pinch up two small pieces to produce ears.
- Eyes can be formed using currants or cloves, the tail can be made from string
- Place the mice on to parchment or waxed paper, put om a warm place to dry for 24 hours
- Store in an air tight container.
If you’re interested in trying Mrs Horton’s recipes we have a small book of them for sale in our shop which sells for £3. You can click to follow our blog as we like to share them from time to time, or click on the ‘Mrs Horton’s recipes‘ link to the left to see what we’ve already shared.