We sell our own venison here in our Gatehouse Shop. It is award winning venison too!
We love to hear what recipes people are using to create tasty venison dishes. Here is a recipe for a cassorole that you might like to try. Its not a short recipe as the casserole will take around 3hrs15min to cook! We’d love to hear how you got on if you do try it. Perhaps Mrs Horton created similar dishes when she worked in the Victorian Kitchen….?
1 kg of venison for stewing
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp seasoned flour
1 large onion
2 celery sticks
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
100ml red wine
500ml beef stock
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 sprig of rosemary
1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
35g whole cranberries
1. Toss the venison in the flour and heat in a large saucepan. Brown the meat and then remove from the pan and put it to oneside for later.
2. Use the pan to melt the butter adding in the roughly chopped veg (onion, carrot, celery). Cook until lightly browned and soft.
3. Add the garlic and bay leaf, stir and cook for a couple of minutes
4. Add red wine and then the stock with 100ml of water.
5. Put the meat back in the pan with this and add the herbs and cranberries. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
6. Cook this until tender – around 3hrs 15minutes.
7. Stir in the red currants and add mushrooms for the last stages of cooking. Cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes and then serve.
If you’ve got a venison recipe to share, do get in touch as we’d love to share them here on our blog.
Want to buy some Charlecote venison? Our Gatehouse Shop is open on weekends in the run up to Christmas from 11am – 4pm. Not much of a cook yourself? Why not visit our Orangery restaurant when you next visit as we often use the meat reared here on the Estate in our hot dishes!