Mrs Horton has another of her recipes to share with us. This time she’s being green fingered and making the most of what is out and about in the garden surrounding the property. Just remember, if you’re using ingredients from the gardens, make sure you know what you’re using and be safe – not everything is edible!
The primroses are about to come out in the countryside so take a little time to make some crystallized flowers to decorate cakes and desserts later in the year. The same method can be used for violets, rose petals, borage flowers, nasturtium flowers, mint and lemon balm leaves.Crystallized flowers
1. Pick well opened flowers and wash carefully.
2. Dry gently with a cloth.
3. Beat the white of an egg until frothy.
4. Put a little caster sugar on a plate.
5. Dip the flowers in the egg white and shake off the excess.
6. Sprinkle back and front with a little caster sugar until all the petals are covered.
7. Put on greaseproof paper and leave in a warm place until completely dry and crisp. (an airing cupboard works well)
8. Store in an airtight tin until needed.Mrs Horton
Mrs Horton getting some visitors involved with her work!